Sunday, April 12, 2015

Utopia


I first heard Utopia from a movie called "Ever After." I adore this movie and this movie introduced me to a book called "Utopia" which is the idea of having  a perfect socio-politico- legal system. Utopia was also brought up in the movie The Village by M. Night Shamallan where the cast tried to hide in a wilderness preserve park of some sort and create their own “perfect” world.

Utopia is a perfect idea in the human mind in which a world can function without hate, anger, hurt, dislike or any "uncomfortable" feeling brewing in us. Utopia is the world that we all want in which people love each other, there are no enemies, you may walk and go anywhere in this perfect world because we all love each other, know each other and yet....we just prosper and walk without a care because we are in Utopia.

Is this idea even possible?

 In my young free spirited brain back in high school, I lived without fear of anyone or anything ( boy that explains that a lot...) but as time went on I started to really observe people and made quite a few mistakes...I still make mistakes…..but anyways some mistakes have costed me friendships, others have caused people to view me differently and I started to feel as if my Utopia was no longer in effect. I strongly thought I had more enemies than friends, then I had a fear of living in a world that I had no place and that I simply didn't belong.

Then several things dawned on me:

1. This world ISNT meant for us because we are saved, we are followers of Christ living in a world ruled by sin and the devil so of course I feel out of place.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

This world wasn't meant for sin but disobedience happened and now this world is ruled by evil while good walks around fighting it to the death.

2. Utopia is impossible in a world full of sin because mistakes and hurts occur on a daily basis. It is impossible for the word "perfect" to even be compared in a world full of evil and sin.


Romans 5:12 “Sin came into the world through one man, and his sin brought death with it. As a result, death has spread to the whole human race because everyone has sinned.”

3. As a Christ follower, we have not received the spirit of fear for greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.


Be strong! Be courageous! Do not be afraid of them! For the Lord your God will be with you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31: 6 TLB

So what if people don't like you? So what if you run into someone you don't like or care for? So what if you come across people who you had to cut off? What can they possible do to you?

Though I am surrounded by troubles, you will bring me safely through them. You will clench your fist against my angry enemies! Your power will save me. The Lord will work out His plans for my life -- for your loving-kindness, Lord, continues forever. Don’t abandon me -- for you made me. Psalm 138: 7-8

 I had always feared the embarrassment or guilt of having to associate with someone who knew the old me. Or seeing a person who witnessed me make mistakes, say/do foolish things and act on foolish thoughts. Also, I had the fear of the thoughts that other people had towards me due to someone lying about me, believing a false image of me; not considering the fact that the Lord was and is changing me daily.

And I am sure that God who began the good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in His grace until His task within you is finally finished on that day when Jesus Christ returns. Philippians 1: 6

Utopia is only possible in heaven and that is a FACT. It can never be on here. True the Bible states that even when a man’s ways please the Lord it causes even his enemies to be at peace with him ( Proverbs 16:7) This verse applies to us but the reality is no matter what we say, no matter what we do there will always be people talking about you. People will always assume an image of you and run with it whether it is true or not. People will perceive you as one way but then perceive you as another way....it’s like trying to figure out a rubix cube and all the colors represent different views people have of you.

These views can warp a person into being a “man-pleaser” and coming from someone who used to be co-dependent, it is possible to create a Utopia just as long as YOU are happy. Being a man pleaser is exhausting; it tires you and makes you so.......depressed because you are trying to make everyone happy other than yourself. Bummer.  

So as these things were dawned on me and began to see Utopia for what it is.....a lie. I also saw that we CAN have Utopia but with God. Having a strong bond with the Lord and being totally in love with Him we create a Utopia for ourself and God, no one is involved in our world. I love having that frame of mind. There is freedom in letting God be in control and having Him carry my burdens and no longer worry about who is thinking and doing what.

Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Sure I made mistakes, who hasn't. People don't like me and don't care to ever see me.....who doesn’t have that? And yet as you make mistakes you sit back and ponder will it matter 5 years from now? 10 years from now? 20 years from now? Only if you let it.

As far as Utopia......it exists in my heart with God. And will come to past in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment