Saturday, October 26, 2013

Emy Ruth Reads: The Land of Stories:The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

I was very curious to read that a Glee actor wrote a children's book, the fact that it is a children's book is what stuck out to me more because I am a pre-school teacher and any literature for children grabs my attention. I purchased the book at Barnes and Noble for $20, I got a discount because I have a Teacher Educator card.



The books starts off introducing two young children, twins a boy and a girl. Conner Baily, whom I really like because he is sarcastic and smart mouthy which is A LOT like me, and Alex Baily who is a book worm with Hermione-like characteristics (i.e. knows all the facts, wants to be right, etc.) Both characters are relatable but not necessarily predictable. They had good moments, bad moments, and you can see the contrast of how different they are but yet they tend to also think a lot in some cases. I won't give away too much, you just have to read the book and find out.

 A Map of all the kingdoms

What I liked most about this book is that the author didn't make the fairy tales to be so a-typical and keep the whole "happily ever after, we never have problems" illusion. The author brought reality in a humorous way to each of the fairy tales. I did laugh at Cinderella being pregnant and feeling tired rather than her gracefully singing with mice while scrubbing stairs ( who does that anyways?) I also thought it was funny that Red Riding Hood was this snobbish girl longing for attention, going after a man who doesn't want her but then when I found out what she did with Goldilocks (read to find out), I thought that was harsh but also relatable because people do do cruel things to get what they want. I did laugh when I read about the Big Bad Wolf pack who act sort of the police, I thought that name was simple but just clever.


I really enjoyed getting to know all the fairy tale characters in the "after fact." Like how Cinderella adapted to being married and soon to be a mother, Goldilocks after she broke into the three bears home, how Sleeping Beauty is running a kingdom now that she is actually awake, each seemed to be facing troubles but getting through it all. Also each chapter has simple picture illustrating what's to come in the chapter.


One of my favorite chapters
 
Each "task" that the twins were asked to go on, you learned something new about their family and the twins personality. I did feel it was a bit slow in some parts, or I would read on and think, "Oh my gosh, it's still not over yet?" but what made me laugh is what I was thinking while reading the book, Conner would say it. At one part of the book when they thought they completed all their tasks to go home, they still had more to do I thought, "What? They still have to keep going??" and Conner said something so similar in the next line! Conner's humor and sarcastic remarks made him my favorite because I most likely would've acted/said most of the things he said in the book. I understand his annoyance. Alex, I can relate to her in the sense that it's important to keep your head in the game and use knowledge to help get you through life, I too can be a know-it-all and I do enjoy reading books ( obviously, I'm writing about a book I read) but despite how different they were, Conner and Alex did grow in character along their journey and it made their relationship stronger.

The book took me about a week to read, it was fairly quick but the book just kept me guessing about their father, the missing prince, you read it and think you have the answers but you don't. The ending did take me by surprise because it was very unexpected and I love the unexpected! The author ends the book knowing there will be a sequel and leaves you wondering, what is next for Conner and Alex?

Have an open mind and allow your inner child to come out, don;t be so shut off thinking it's too simple or not original because it is. Chris Colfer takes our known basic fairy tale characters and turns them upside down.

Get it. It's worth the read.



No comments:

Post a Comment